A Travellerspoint blog

Jungle Cookie Monsters!

I feel great today. Had some chicken yesterday evening and some deer meat today. I was getting a bit tired of Yuka, Rice, Fried Fish, and Spaghetti. Our guide even brought some sort of cookies for us. I left a couple in my tent and when I went to get them I found a hundred little ants all over them. The ants seem to have a nose for sweets, and make sure they let all their friends know.

I spend most of my time relaxing, while Eduardo, who is a more used to the heat, is a lot more active than I am.


Posted by ScottK 21:39 Archived in Peru Comments (0)

A Sticky Situation.

It's so hot and humid in the jungle that after taking a refreshing swim you are back to feeling like you are covered in sticky syrup within 15 minutes after getting out of the water.


I was feeling pretty good today. Our guide went back to his village for some more supplies. He left at 2:00 am and was back at 8:00 pm. Apparently his pull cord broke on his motor and he then had to paddle all the way home. Luckily for him it was down stream all the way.

Lots of interesting insects here. Some huge.


I found it quite amusing that our guides son Martir (mar-tear), got a real kick out of watching Eduardo use an axe. He would stand there the whole time and laugh his head off.


Posted by ScottK 21:29 Archived in Peru Tagged flores eduardo araya troncoso martir pella Comments (0)

The Snakes and the Bees.

I felt a little better today. Went fishing. Got attacked by some aggresive bees while coming back from fishing in the boat while carefully trying to hold on to a baby anaconda so it wouldn´t bite me. And ate some fish roasted in bamboo leaves.

90_IMGP0654.jpg IMGP0615.jpg 90_IMGP0658.jpg

On our night trip I seen a couple of Monkey Spiders, and our Guide and his son let a huge Tarantula crawl all over them. Just another normal day in the jungle!


Posted by ScottK 20:33 Archived in Peru Comments (0)

Montezuma's Revenge.

Papaya Puddles!

About 4:00 am diarrhea struck hard. Squatting under a tree in the middle of the night is not exactly what I had in mind for this trip. After a few more runs to the bush early in the morning, and after downing a few cups of jungle medicine I was feeling a bit shakey but ready to go. I think this happened from all the Papaya I had eaten earlier. I ate a few slices earlier, then they gave me a freshly squeezed Papaya drink that I figured might give me problems, but they said it was good jungle medicine. I was also handed a Papaya cut in half with a spoon stuck in it, and I ended up eating that also.


Today we travelled another 2 hrs. up river until we came to a remote camp site in the jungle where we would spend the remainder of this trip. Our Guide´s Aunt had an old house here that was in a state of disrepair. Before we reached the site we came upon a tree blocking our way. Our Guide only had a machete, and it took him at least 15 minutes of chopping to finally get through. These people have an uncanny sense of blance, and he just stood on this tree while chopping.

IMGP0605.jpg IMGP0896.jpg

Another boat also showed up today with 4 men 1 boy, and also decided to camp here. They came to the jungle to gather certain leaves that they use for covering their roofs with.

Latter in the afternoon the dreaded diarrhea struck again and off I went to find another tree to squat under. Not fun, but the worst was yet to come!

That evening I decided to partake in a Ayahuasca ceremony with Eduardo. I was only given a small portion of the foul tasting liquid about 10:00 pm that evening. It stayed down for some reason and after a half an hour I was told to lay down and concentrate. About 4:00 am the diarrhea struck again, but this time I could not get up. My head was whirling and balance was gone when I moved. The feeling is hard to describe, but is like seeing a strobe light blinking on and off real fast, with your hearing the same. Not pleasant. I knew I had to get to the nearest tree somehow and after an hour of stuggling I finally got my boots on and crawled outside. This bit of movement finally brought upon the vomiting, which Ayahuasca is known for. It cleans out the body amongst other things but not in an enjoyable way. I made enough noise that my Guide came and directed me to the nearest tree, where I once again emptied my colon. After getting done and being helped back to my ´tent´ which was only about 4 meters away, I thought I would finally settle down for the night. My stomach didn´t feel quite right and in another hour I would vomit up the rest of this horrid brew in a tub I had been supplied with.

Morning finally arrived but I did not feel good at all and stayed in my tent for a few more hours until I got up and took a dip in the river. I ended up just laying in the hammock until 4:00 pm until I finally felt functional again. I got up and had a bit of jungle spaggetti made out of palm heart, with some toasted buns and then sat down to write about these fun events!

I told Wilder ¨No more Ayahuasca for me¨, but I was willing to try some different jungle medicine.

Posted by ScottK 05:47 Archived in Peru Tagged ayahuasca shaman curendero Comments (0)

Jungle Symphony.

Day 3 in the Jungle

Our first days journey up a small Amazon tributary lasted for 4 hours. Our mode of transportation consisted of a dugout canoe with a 4-stroke engine mounted on the back. This engine had a 2 Meter shaft sticking out of the back of it, with the prop on the end. This setup is standard in the jungle and allows the boats to go through weeds and over logs. This canoe rode only 10cm out of the water so you made sure there were no sudden moves or else you would submerge it. The type of wood they use to make it does float though.


We arrived at a small camp site latter in the afternoon, and our guide and his 14 year old son, Martir (mart-tear) quickly set up camp, which consisted of a tarp overhead with mosquito nets hanging down. They brought a thin mattress along for me, and Eduardo slept in a hammock, which was also enclosed with a mosquito net.

There where already 4 more people at this camp site who where out fishing. They showed us a Turtle and Electric Eel they had caught.

IMGP0586.jpg IMGP0590.jpg 90_IMGP0593.jpg

The rain was coming so we settled in and I tried to get some sleep. There is a large air pressure change when a large rain approaches, so the wind does give you a bit of a warning.

The sounds of the jungle can be deafening. I am used to camping in Northern Saskatchewan where the only sound you hear at night is the lonely call of the Loon. Here, there are a million insects, frogs and birds all having their say at once. The locals call it the symphony of the jungle and find it very relaxing compared to the city, but I ended up having to plug my ears to get any sleep.

Posted by ScottK 04:36 Archived in Peru Comments (0)

(Entries 21 - 25 of 27) « Page 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »